The Classroom of the Future Foundation (CFF) is proud to partner with Vista Unified School District (VUSD) and support the #GoOPEN Regional Summit on Friday, October 7th, 2016 from 8:00am – 3:30pm. The summit is an opportunity for the education and business community to learn more about Open Educational Resources (OER) and the U.S. Department of Education’s #GoOPEN Initiative.
WHAT ARE OPEN EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES (OER)?
Open Educational Resources (OER) are defined by the Federal Department of Education as materials that can be used for teaching and learning that are online and free to use, edit, and distribute without violating copyright. The #GoOpen Campaign was designed through the Department of Education to help schools transform their educational systems through the use and creation of OERs. For more information, click here.
The #GoOpen Regional summits are intended for new districts who have recently committed to become a #GoOpen Launch district or are curious about making a scalable transition to openly licensed educational resources. The day is also designed for #GoOpen Ambassador districts who have done some work on making this transition and can offer to facilitate one or more of the workshops throughout the day. VUSD is encouraging districts to send administrators, teachers, librarians, and media techs. In addition, the business community is encouraged to attend and learn more about these exciting innovative efforts across San Diego County.
- District leaders will be able to reliably distinguish between and identify the advantages, disadvantages, limitations, and tradeoffs of open, free, CC licensing
- Define and identify examples/proof points through the Story Engine in order to visualize the variety of #GoOpen entry points and plans
- Become familiar with #GoOpen Launch Packet and identify the readiness of each district and where they are in the process
- Showcase work of Ambassador districts through conversations and presentations
- Develop mentor and peer relationships between districts and between districts and state leaders that lead to long term collaboration.
CALL FOR PRESENTERS
VUSD is now accepting applications to present 75 minute sessions around the topic of OER. Please review the list of suggested topics or come up with one of your own:
- Continuous improvement using open education approaches
- How OER can promote innovation in education
- Classroom models
- Librarian/Media Tech support and/or Library OER models
- How does OER promote collaboration in and through disciplinary and organizational boundaries?
- OER vs Free Digital Content
- Diving into the #GoOpen District Launch Packet
- OER without 1:1 and Financial Implications
- Curation Process: Organizing Resources
- Rubrics, Vetting and Quality
- The role of national/international organizations and funders in advancing openness in education and research
- Professional Learning: Who is involved?
- How governments have been supporting or can support openness through policy
All applications are due by September 9. Presenters will be notified the following week. All applicants are encouraged to attend, even if the presentation is not accepted due to lack of time slots.
CFF is partnering with VUSD to engage the business community around supporting this important summit.
Here are some key reasons why your company might want to get involved with this event:
- Opportunity to connect with top leadership from #GoOPEN school districts in San Diego County and across the country
- Opportunity to network with Superintendents from across the County, meet representatives from SDCOE, CDE, and DoED, as well as support Vista USD, one of the leading districts in our community. CFF Board members will make introductions to educators, and the summit format allows for great networking.
- Opportunity to interact with many award winning, highly innovative principals, teachers, media techs, and librarians from all over the County.
- Opportunity to receive highly visible recognition of your support before the event, at the event via an on-site company table, and in post-event outreach.
- Scholar Sponsorship: $3,000
- Lunch Sponsorship: $6,000
- Breakfast Sponsorship: $3,000
- Happy Hour Sponsorship: $3,000
- Promotion of your company in pre and post communication to guests
- Promotion of your company at the summit through signage and program
- Promotion of your company on summit t-shirts and SWAG bags
- Promotion of your company at a display table during breakfast and during lunch
- Opportunity to address the audience with some short remarks
- Promotion of your company on CFF website and Vista USD website
- Promotion of your company on CFF social media platforms prior to and following the event
If your company would like to sponsor the event and receive top-tier recognition, please contact Jane Schlosberg for more information.
Please direct any questions about the event or any interest in getting involved to Jane Schlosberg at 858-292-3869.