The Classroom of the Future Foundation (CFF) is proud to partner with the San Diego County Office of Education (SDCOE) and Oceanside Unified School District (OUSD) and support the Second Annual #GoOpen Summit on Friday, April 13th from 8:30am – 3:00pm. The summit is an opportunity for the education and business community to learn more about Open Educational Resources (OER) and the U.S. Department of Education’s #GoOpen Initiative.
WHAT ARE OPEN EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES (OER)?
Open Educational Resources (OER) are defined by the Federal Department of Education as materials that can be used for teaching and learning that are online and free to use, edit, and distribute without violating copyright. The #GoOpen Campaign was designed through the Department of Education to help schools transform their educational systems through the use and creation of OERs. For more information, click here.
The Second Annual #GoOpen Summit is intended for education, business, and community leaders who are curious about making a scalable transition to openly licensed educational resources. The day is also designed for #GoOpen Ambassador districts who have done some work on making this transition and can offer to facilitate one or more of the workshops throughout the day. We encourage districts to send administrators, teachers, librarians, and media techs. In addition, the business community is encouraged to attend and learn more about these exciting innovative efforts across San Diego County.
- The opening keynote speaker will be Dr. Kristina Ishmael, a K-12 open education specialist. Dr. Ishmael has led school districts and educators through transitions to open educational resources to transform teaching and learning.
- The closing keynote speaker will be Dr. Devin Vodicka, Chief Impact Officer at AltSchool. Dr. Vodicka was the former Superintendent of Vista USD and is an expert on the design and strategy of expanding personalized learning in a school district.
- District leaders will be able to reliably distinguish between and identify the advantages, disadvantages, limitations, and tradeoffs of open, free, CC licensing
- Define and identify examples/proof points through the Story Engine in order to visualize the variety of #GoOpen entry points and plans
- Become familiar with #GoOpen Launch Packet and identify the readiness of each district and where they are in the process
- Showcase work of Ambassador districts through conversations and presentations
- Develop mentor and peer relationships between districts and between districts and state leaders that lead to long term collaboration
- Learn from teachers, media technicians, and librarians who are transforming their classroom learning environments using OER materials
CALL FOR PRESENTERS
There are still a few opportunities to present a 60 minute session around the topic of OER. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Dr. Erin English.
CFF is partnering with SDCOE and OUSD to engage the business community around supporting this important summit. You can see all of our sponsorship opportunities here..
If your company would like to sponsor the event and receive top-tier recognition, please contact Jane Schlosberg for more information.
Please direct any questions about the event or any interest in getting involved to Jane Schlosberg at 858-292-3869.